All of our clients track their Protein, Fats and Carbohydrates. We do not assign meal plans due to the limited stomach capacity and phases each person undergoes after weight loss surgery. Instead, you are given your daily goals for Protein, Fats and Carbohydrates and are allowed to break your meals up throughout the day and choose foods that you like to eat. Your goals are customized to your individual needs and are subject to change as your progress through the various stages of your weight loss journey.
WHAT ARE MACRONUTRIENTS?
Macronutrients are Protein, Fats, and Carbohydrates and are what make up calories.
- Protein is 4 calories per gram
- Fats are 9 calories per gram
- Carbohydrates are 4 calories per gram
WHY DO WE NEED PROTEIN?
- Growth (especially important for children, teens, and pregnant women)
- Tissue repair
- Immune function
- Making essential hormones and enzymes
- Energy when Carbohydrate is not available
- Preserving lean muscle mass
WHY DO WE NEED CARBOHYDRATES?
- Carbohydrates are the body’s main source of fuel
- Carbohydrates are easily used by the body for energy
- All of the tissues and cells in our body can use glucose for energy
- Carbohydrates are needed for the central nervous system, the kidneys, the brain, the muscle (including the heart) to function properly
- Carbohydrates can be stored in the muscles and liver and later used for energy
- Carbohydrates are important in intestinal health and waste elimination
WHY DO WE NEED FAT?
- Normal growth and development
- Energy (Fat is the most concentrated source of energy)
- Absorbing certain vitamins ( like vitamins A, D, E, K, and carotenoids)
- Providing cushioning for the organs
- Maintaining cell membranes
- Providing taste, consistency, and stability to foods